I just came across this yesterday in my travels around the internet. The Pew Research Center‘s Internet & American Life Project released their annual study two months ago. It finds, in part:
In a new survey conducted in September 2014, the Pew Research Center finds that Facebook remains by far the most popular social media site. While its growth has slowed, the level of user engagement with the platform has increased. Other platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn saw significant increases over the past year in the proportion of online adults who now use their sites.
The results in this report are based on American adults who use the internet.1 Other key findings:
- Multi-platform use is on the rise: 52% of online adults now use two or more social media sites, a significant increase from 2013, when it stood at 42% of internet users.
- For the first time, more than half of all online adults 65 and older (56%) use Facebook. This represents 31% of all seniors.
- For the first time, roughly half of internet-using young adults ages 18-29 (53%) use Instagram. And half 0f all Instagram users (49%) use the site daily.
- For the first time, the share of internet users with college educations using LinkedIn reached 50%.
- Women dominate Pinterest: 42% of online women now use the platform, compared with 13% of online men.
Go to the source for more: Social Media Site Usage 2014 | Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project
I encourage you to go to the source read it for yourself. Me? The thing I find most interesting about this report is that there is not one use of the word Google in this report; not for Google Search and not for Google Plus. Admittedly, this exposes a bias of mine. Yes, I use social networks to connect with my networks, but equally important to me are the search benefits of social networking. In the past year, Google Plus as become a true competitive advantage for me in search engine marketing and I am grateful to those – including the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project – who continue to overlook it.
What is your take on the study? Please engage me in the comments.